Thursday, March 16, 2017

Why do we use theories in occupational therapy?

This would likely have been a question I would have asked myself before starting OT school.  Theory is often a word that is seen as boring or old school and thought to be something that people don't use in every day life.  Through learning about them in class and reading the article by Lynne Oberle, I now see their importance and usefulness in carrying out effective occupational therapy.  When we were asked to write down our own definition of Models of Practice and Frames of Reference I wrote that the MoP takes the why of the profession or the philosophy and helps guide the how of practice. I said that the FoR is the tools that you would use in order to carry our the how.  We need to have our own MoP and FoR while we practice and not just do whatever we feel like that day, it needs purpose.  I value guidelines in my own life and I am thankful the profession has them to go by.  When we have reasons and theories to back up our treatment the profession will not only be more effective, but it will increase our credibility as a whole.

1 comment: