Monday, April 3, 2017

Words

After watching Aimee Mullins give her TEDTalk I am contemplating two things.  The first being the definitions that she read off from the dictionary about the word "disabled".  I agree with Aimee that our world is changing and adapting and people who experience disabilities are also changing and adapting.  Shouldn't our vocabulary change along with it?  If those definitions in the dictionary were true our whole profession as occupational therapists would be futile.  It described antonyms of disabled as whole or healthy.  Our purpose is to help people find meaning in their occupations and help them adapt to be able to do them.  That would be striving for a holistic or whole, healthy lifestyle.  That is definitely achievable for many people who experience disabilities and who is Webster to decided what healthy or whole is.  The next thing that stuck out to me was that a few words said by a doctor to Aimee changed her whole outlook on her self and her journey.  She now sees herself as a stong, healthy, powerful athlete.  The impact we can have as occupational therapists goes far beyond what is on paper and the physical outcomes.   We could help someone see themselves with value and purpose.  When looking at both of these things I gleaned from the video I see that they can be related.  Words are powerful and they are a big part of how we can practice in the future.  Can I change the way someone views a disability? Can I inspire someone to believe in themselves?  These are things I hope to be able to do in my practice of occupational therapy and will strive for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment