Thursday, February 8, 2018

Building Empathy Group Session: Leadership Evaluation

   I recently had the opportunity to facilitate a group session with two of my classmates on Building Empathy.  I really enjoyed this experience and it helped me further see the benefits of groups.  The general flow of our group session included:

  • An introduction portion with a warm-up activity where everyone shared their highs and lows of the week.  I feel this was a great way to open up to each other and be able to find common ground.  
  • Our main activity was providing members with a clinical scenario and having them share how they would show empathy in that situation.   I introduced this activity and gave an example of how I could show empathy in my scenario.  We then gave group members time to read over their scenarios and jot down any ideas they had.  After each group member read their scenario and shared how they would respond, other group members were able to respond and give their input.  Some of the scenarios were really difficult and it could definitely be hard to show empathy in those situations, so I think talking it out helped everyone.  
  • Then we had everyone think about a time when they showed or when they were shown empathy and had them share it with the group.  After they shared group members were able to respond and identify or show empathy to what was shared.  I think this added a more personal component to the group session and was very useful in creating trust within the group. 
  • Another facilitator was able to wrap up the group session and bring it to a nice close.
   Something I feel I could improve on is not feeling as if I have to respond to everything people say.  It is hard for me to not give feedback when someone shares, especially if it is something that I identify with.  I need to recognize I don't always have to respond or give my input as the facilitator.  It is important to give the other group members a chance to respond.  I don't think I did this too often during the group, but I definitely see it as something I could improve on in the future. 

      Overall, I think this group session went really well and it was encouraging to see how a group can be open and identify with each other in just one group session. I think the other two facilitators and myself did a good job of planning and implementing this group.  We split up which parts we would take the lead on and I think that helped the group run smoothly.  Group members shared openly and responded to other group members.  I feel this fostered empathy within the group and helped them open up more as the group went on.  I think I did a good job of giving examples and responding to things group members shared. I believe being open as the facilitator helps people feel more comfortable and likely to share.  After this experience I am excited to lead more groups in the future and gain more experience in this type of setting. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment