Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Shoes

At the beginning of class today we watched a video that was trying to convey how important it is to put yourself in other people's shoes.  After reading Professor Lancaster's blog and listening to a podcast about a human who experienced a TBI, I am left with a lot of feelings. I could never truly put myself in their shoes because I just can't imagine what that would be like if it was my family that was affected by cancer or a TBI.  I empathize with them and wish that their circumstances could have been different.  I also found myself very angry with the different medical professionals who were involved in the care of my professor's father.  They seemed to not care and not have time to ease a families worries and very valid concerns in regards to actual human life.  But after watching that video I was reminded that they were people too.  Not all of their behaviors can be excused but you don't ever know what someone is dealing with.  I am very touched our professor shared her personal story with us and it is something I know will affect how I practice.  I have always been an empathetic person and it pains me to think about people, medical professionals, treating a family in such callous ways at times.  I hope that I can truly make the biggest impact in the way I treat my patients and their families.  I am so thankful that occupational therapy school is providing me not only with the tools, but also with a good heart and mindset to use when I practice in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Lauren, from the title that leaves the reader wondering what the link there is to the authenticity so apparent in your writing. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts. I am so glad to have you as a member of this class and as a fUTure OT!

    ReplyDelete