Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Getting my Groove

One of the things I have looked forward to the most about occupational therapy is the relationships I will develop with my clients. That is what initially hooked me on the profession and why I am so passionate about it.  We truly get to know our clients, not just know about their diagnosis.  We talked about a therapeutic relationship today and how it is a unique relationship between a therapist and their client.  It is more of a one way street with the therapist supporting the client, but that is not the only way the relationship grows.  I am looking forward to learning a lot of things from my clients, whether or not they are actually intending on teaching me or not it will probably just happen. 

Therapeutic use of self is a concept that I feel will grow and mature as we have spent time in the field.  Our rapport with patients and our "groove" is something that will become second nature to us. Since I worked in an assisted living facility last year with residents with Alzheimer's and Dementia I was able to start working on my rapport with clients.  I learned so much from each resident and from my interactions with them.  They truly did teach me so much and I will never forget the things they said to me.

I hope to also remember to always empathize with the client, but never act like I have been in the exact situation they are in.  That will probably not be the case and I don't want them to feel like I am trying to say I get where they are coming from if I haven't been there.  I hope that I can convey my care and concern for someone in a way that doesn't make them feel pitied.  That is a fine line and I think I will have to look at each client differently and reflect on how I can make them feel cared for. These things will be challenging but I am looking forward to them in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment