Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Fundamentals of Caring

For my neuro note I watched the film The Fundamentals of Caring on Netflix.  This movie centered around a man named Ben who was a caregiver for a boy named Trevor who had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  Their relationship was centered around sarcasm and playing not so funny jokes on each other.  This movie really portrayed the realities of the disease, but also the realities of being a young adult man who has fears and desires.  Ben became a friend to Trevor and showed him that despite the limitations he felt he had, that he could leave his house and see the world.  They went on a road trip and picked up some unlikely travelers along the way.  This movie shows the realness of the person and not just the disease, that is what occupational therapy is all about.  I enjoyed how this movie was very raw and Trevor wasn't trying to get pity, he even made fun of his disease and used it as a source of humor.  I would recommend this movie to anyone and think it gives a closer look into the disease Muscular Dystrophy. My classmates recommend this film to me and I am glad they did. 

Burnett, R. (Producer), and Burnett, R. (Director). (2016). The Fundamentals of Caring [Motion Picture].  United States: Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment