Thursday, May 11, 2017

What I Thought I Knew...

When I came to occupational therapy school I thought I had a pretty good idea of what all occupational therapist did.  I can now say I was on the right track but I did have a lot to learn.  I am reflecting upon all I have learned in foundations as the class wraps up and I am so pleased with how my knowledge has grown.  Knowing the basis of our profession is something that is so important when a lot of people still don't know what OT is.  I have taken it upon myself to start asking friends and family what they think OT is and it has given me an opportunity to see what they know and teach them.
My personal definition is:
Occupational therapy is using a client-centered approach to help people engage in occupations that are meaningful and purposeful to them.  It looks as the person as a whole and not just at their disability or illness.  All different types of people can receive OT and it takes place in all types of settings.  The bottom line is helping people getting back to do what they want and need to do.

I can't wait to get to put this knowledge into practice and continue to learn these next few years - and forever, life long learning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment